On Sunday, Jan. 3, 2016, the Muscatine Fire Department celebrated 100 years as a paid department. An open house was held to commemorate this crucial piece of their history. The open house included tours with Freddie the Fire Truck and a reception with food and drinks.
Retired Captain Mike Van Wey gave a history presentation that was both entertaining and educational. It was a wonderful opportunity for those in attendance to hear stories about the department throughout the years.
Here’s a little bit of information about the Fire Department when it became a paid department:
Prior to 1916, volunteer fire companies fought fires in Muscatine. By January 3, 1916, the new Muscatine Fire Department consisted of 13 eager men.
The following were the original 13 firefighters:
J.J. Brown, Chief
Fred Bilkey, Assistant Chief
J.P. Maurath, Mechanic
View original post 72 more words